- This event has passed.
Orienteering – Wheaton
March 7 @ 11:00 am - 3:00 pmFree
Welcome back to Wheaton Park for a special Saturday orienteering event! We will be offering a full set of courses, thanks to course setter Tom Nolan. Course notes and stats for all 7 courses will be posted below closer to the event date.
Timing is just a bit unusual for this event. We will not be able to get access to the train station registration area until 10:00am, so we will not be ready to register anyone until at least 10:45, possibly closer to 11:00. Therefore, registration will be from 11:00am to 1:15pm, with starts any time between 11-1:30. Everyone must be out of the woods and back at the registration/finish area by 3:00pm, which is when we will begin picking up the controls.
Any youth or large groups attending, please contact the Event Director so that we can coordinate pre-registration for your group; the group registration and waiver form is part of the information on our Group Leaders page.
- Contour interval is 5m; course map scales will be 1:5000 for white & yellow, 1:7500 for orange, and 1:10000 for all advanced courses.
- Dogs are welcome, so long as they are on a leash at all times.
- We do have access to full restroom facilities.
- There are several playgrounds in this park, and it’s a great place for kids.
- There are no entrance fees to this park, and parking is also free.
- Have any questions? Just use our Contact Us form and fire away.
Note: juniors = under 21
|Club Member, adult||Club Member, junior||Non-Member, adult||Non-Member, junior|
Team or Group Entries
Participants are welcome to compete together as a single team entry. Teams containing one or more nonmembers are charged the nonmember individual rate. Teams containing one or more adults are charged the adult individual rate. For teams to receive member or junior rates, all members of the team must be members or juniors, respectively. Each extra team map beyond the first is an additional $2. Individuals or teams desiring to compete on a second course can do so for a reduced fee of $2/map.
- If you wish to become a QOC member you should join online in advance via this webpage (which also explains the member benefits). Membership is completely optional.
- Most of our events use an ‘epunch’ timing chip for electronic timing. Individuals or groups without their own epunch pay a higher entry fee (see above), which includes the loan of an epunch for that event. Loaned epunches that are lost incur a $40 replacement fee. Epunches (also known as SI-cards or finger sticks) can be purchased from online vendors as described here.
- Former QOC members who have let their membership lapse pay non-member fees.
- Compasses are available at no charge, but if lost incur a $15 replacement fee.
- Please provide collateral (driver’s license or car keys) when borrowing a compass or epunch.
- For additional safety, whistles are available for sale at $1/each.
- Free beginner instruction is always available – just ask at the registration table.
|Wheaton Regional Park
Shorefield Area, Train Station Party Room
Google MapFrom I-495 take Exit 31 for Georgia Avenue/MD 97 North. Follow Georgia Avenue north for almost 3 miles, then turn right onto Shorefield Road. Continue on Shorefield Road until you reach the parking area. Registration will be just beyond the south end of the parking lot, in the Train Station Party Room (near the Carousel).