- This event has passed.
February 29 @ 10:30 am - 3:00 pmFree
It’s the 8th annual Super Bowl Saturday Bumble! THE WHAT? The Super Bowl is over! Well, due to limited venue availability, we decided to leap forward and host this special event on this quadrennial day, when this great map and venue were available. Welcome to the Leap Year Bumble!
The Bumble is a fun event with courses for all skill levels. Come out and enjoy a great day in the woods at Seneca Creek/Smokey Glen Farm. Nadim Ahmed’s map is excellent! The woods are open and the climb is gradual, not excessive. After the race, we will enjoy a PIZZA PARTY and the winter meeting, when we will celebrate volunteers and hear about upcoming events. Our good friends at Smokey Glen Farm have given us permission to bring in food from a commercial provider. In order to abide by their catering license, please DO NOT bring any outside food into the pavilion. Instead, join us for lunch for just an extra $5 per adult, teen, and tween; no charge for kids 8 and under. We will be sure to have vegetarian, vegan & gluten-free options.
Following tradition, The Bumble will have a mass start that begins at Noon. The race is perfect for orienteers who usually run beige through blue level courses. We will also offer White, Yellow, and Orange courses, and those participants can start anytime during the traditional window of 11:00am – 1:30pm. Registration, downloading, and the post-race party will be in the LOWER PAVILION of Smokey Glen Farm, which is a warm, indoor building with restrooms. And, there is plenty of parking. Because of the mass-start we will open registration at 10:30 am. Please be sure to arrive early to avoid a last minute rush.
- Beginners are welcome, as always, and instruction will be available.
- White, Yellow, and Orange courses will have regular starts from 11:00am to 1:30pm, and your start location will be near the lower pavilion.
- Advanced (Bumble) courses will have a MASS START at NOON. Please be ready for PRE-RACE briefing at 11:45am at the Start location (~500 meters from lower pavilion). PLEASE follow streamers that will take you through the woods and across Riffle Road.
- Clothing drop available for mass start; clothes will be returned for pick up in Lower Pavilion.
- Everyone must be out of the woods by 3:00pm, which is when we will begin picking up controls.
- NO spikes allowed in the Pavilion.
- NO dogs allowed on Smokey Glen Farm property; please leave furry friends at home.
- Restrooms available in Pavilion, but PLEASE do not come in with muddy shoes.
- Bumble prizes awarded (mass start only):
- First male and first female competitors to cross the finish, regardless of course.
- Fastest male competitor on Blue and fastest female competitor on Red
Any youth or large groups attending, please contact the Event Director so that we can coordinate pre-registration for your group; the group registration and waiver form is part of the information on our Group Leaders page.
We are looking forward to seeing you soon! Please feel free to contact the Event Director with questions.